Cyprus Residency for EU Citizens

Cyprus Residency for EU Citizens

By: N. Pirilides & Associates LLC

Registration of EU citizens in Cyprus

EU Citizens are free to enter, leave, travel and live in Cyprus and may also engage in any economic activity, either as paid employees or self-employed persons, service providers or engage in any educational opportunity in Cyprus, under the same conditions as Cypriot citizens.

A person who is going to spend less than 4 months in Cyprus only needs to have a valid passport or a valid identity card and not expiring in less than 6 months, which shows the person’s nationality. If during this period, the person takes up employment in Cyprus, the employer is obliged to register him/her with the Social Insurance Fund. Thereafter, one has to apply for an Alien Registration Certificate (ARC) at the local Immigration Branch of the Police (issued automatically for monitoring purposes) and at the same time for a Registration Certificate.

A EU citizen/national who plans to stay for more than 4 months in Cyprus is required by law to go personally to the Civil Registry and Migration Department and apply for the Registration Certificate for EU Nationals (or Yellow Slip) - Form MEU1A. This application must be submitted within 4 months from the date of entry to Cyprus.

The certificate is issued in a short period of time from the application date. The Registration Certificate is issued only if the applicant has secured a paid job in Cyprus or if he is self-employed or a student or if the applicant has identified a reasonable means for living in Cyprus without working (and that he will not become a burden on the social assistance system of the Republic of Cyprus during the period of residence).

A fine is imposed in case of non-compliance (Law N.7 (I)/2007) and specifically a fine to any EU national who works in Cyprus without being registered.

Note: a residence permit is not required to begin working in Cyprus - an EU national may begin work while the residency paperwork is still in process - however the employer and employee may be fined if application for the registration certificate is never made.

Registration of family members in Cyprus (who are also EU citizens)

Family members who are either EU Citizens or non-EU citizens can also reside in Cyprus freely provided that certain requirements are satisfied. In case family members are third-country nationals, they can still live in Cyprus with the applicant. The residence certificate (Pink Slip) - Form MEU2A is issued to the non-EU family members of EU citizens moving with them to Cyprus. The application must be made within 4 months of the date of entry, otherwise a fine will be imposed.

Work permit for EU citizens or citizens of an EEA country or Switzerland

The correct term for it is a registration certificate for EU citizens and it is technically a residency permit known as the “yellow slip” as it is printed on yellow paper.

EU citizens need to apply for a work permit/yellow slip within 4 months of arriving in Cyprus. An EU national may begin work while the residency paperwork is still in process.

Permanent Residence Card - Form MEU3A

Cyprus Permanent Residency can be applied by European Union citizens and their family members, also citizens of the EU, after 5 years of continuous legal residence in Cyprus. The application for the issuing of a Permanent Residence Certificate is submitted by Union citizens, after such period of uninterrupted legal residence in the Republic of Cyprus, provided that they can prove with official means that they resided legally for 5 uninterrupted years and that they have not become a burden on the social assistance system of the Republic of Cyprus during their period of residence.

For any assistance in obtaining the registration certificates and/or residence permits please contact us at info@pirilides.com and we will be happy to assist.


© Lawyers in Cyprus. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy |